- Mitten's Travel Center is open 24/7/365!
- We are conveniently located just off Interstate 70, Exit 76, or if you prefer the scenic route, take US Highway 40/83. All roads lead to Mittens!
- We feature a variety of food options, as well as plenty of high quality driver amenities including a walk-in Urgent Care Clinic.
- Here at Mitten's Travel Center we are constantly striving to become better than yesterday. You can always expect to see some kind of ongoing project in the works to improve our family owned Travel Center of tomorrow.
- We are dedicated to providing highway travelers including professional drivers and four wheel traffic as well as RV's with services that are unsurpassed in quality and convenience.
- Thank you for your business!
In 1966 Jim Mitten and his wife Estelene moved to Oakley and purchased LW Swart and Breckinridge trucking and started Jim Mitten Trucking. His bright red and green Mitten “Cow Taxi’s” were recognized all across Kansas!
In 1967, Jim was approached by Skelly Oil Company. They wanted to build a Truckstop and wanted Jim to operate it. So they could call it a “Truckstop operated by a trucker. ”Within the first year of operations, Skelly quickly decided that there wasn’t enough money for the amount of work it took too operate a Truckstop and sold it to Jim Mitten.
A few years later, Gary and Toni Johnson(Mitten) and Larry and Tami Bley(Mitten) joined forces and it then became a family operation.
Today, the modernized location that has grown from the beginning is operated by Jim Mittens grandson Matt Mildenberger and wife Misty. Along with their dynamic team of professionals, operate one of the most sophisticated and diversified Travel Centers along the highway serving customers from all over the United States.
Their operations includes a full service IHOP sit down restaurant, quick service restaurants including Sonic and Subway, 24hr fueling, convenience store which provides ample items that anyone traveling along the Interstate would find a need or desire for, Blue Beacon Truck wash,24 hour repair shop, Bulk fuel, Oil and DEF delivery all over the midwestern United States. Urgent Care walk-in clinic, and on-site laundry.
The family friendly location has a fenced in dog park and playground, family restroom, 62 room Sleep Inn and Suites hotel across the street, 24 hr-6 bay repair shop including 3 roadside repair trucks to help the stranded professionals drivers along the side of the highway to get back on the road safely and in a timely manner.
Jim was always very proud that Mitten’s has been owned and operated by his family for the past 55 years.
While the flag above the site has changed several times in the last forty years (Skelly, Texaco, Shell, TravelCenters of America) one thing has remained consistent, the ownership. Jim’s daughters and their husbands joined the venture in the early years and today grandson Matt Mildenberger leads the company to provide service and hospitality to the tens of thousands of annual visitors. Jim‘s two daughters, Toni Johnson and Tami Bley along with their husbands joined the venture in the 70’s and today grandson Matt Mildenberger and wife Misty lead the company to provide exceptional service and hospitality to tens of thousands of annual visitors.
Bulk Fuel/Oil Manager
785-672-3062 ext. 23, email@example.com, or 308-737-9687
Director of Fresh Food Operations
Fuel & Lubricant Sales and Service
Email or call for fuel desk services
785-672-3062 ext. 22
Call to schedule our board room or meeting room
Meeting Room Scheduling
785-672-3062 ext 22